Goodness, another birthday. This time it’s AA Milne’s 134th birthday (if he were still alive, obviously). And we all know what AA Milne’s fame comes from – the wonderful stories of Winnie the Pooh.
I’m currently reading the first book of Pooh’s adventures as part of the Popsugar challenge, and am enjoying it greatly. As well as finding comfort again in the One Hundred Acre Wood, I am noticing things that I never did before, such as how the different characters personify different personalities – Winnie is quite forgetful but pleasantly meditative, Piglet is funny but rather highly-strung, Rabbit can be caustic, Owl (Wol) is wise but recognises his weaknesses (spelling is a huge one).
I’ll write more about this when I summarise the book as part of the reading challenge but I couldn’t let Milne’s birthday go unnoticed. So, thanks to the Western Morning News, here is a list of great Pooh-Bear quotes, which shows he was quite the philosopher as well as a bear who just loved hunny (I rather like number 3!):
1. Some people care too much. I think it’s called love.
2. You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.
3. It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like “What about lunch?”
4. I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart for so long. If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can be together all the time.
5. People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
6. Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
7. “Well,” said Pooh, “what I like best,” and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn’t know what it was called.
8. I used to believe in forever, but forever’s too good to be true.
9. I’m not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.
10. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.