Thanks to Simon & Schuster CA for tweeting a link to a post on website A Mighty Girl’s for their post: Top Read Aloud Books Starring Mighty Girls.
There were a lot of familiar titles in there, along with a few news ones that Holly and I will have to check out. It’s good to know though that there are so many novels featuring strong females – real characters that girls can look up to.
In the meantime, our list of favourite feisty females (here we go with the alliteration again!), in no particular order, includes:
- Matilda, in Matilda, by Roald Dahl
- Sophie, in The BFG, by Roald Dahl
- Molly Moon, in the Molly Moon series, by Georgia Byng
- Nancy Drew, in the Nancy Drew series, by Carolyn Keene
- George, aka Georgina in The Famous Five, by Enid Blyton
- Annika, in The Star of Kazan, by Eva Ibbotson
- Hermione Granger, in the Harry Potter series, by JK Rowling
- Karana, in Island of the Blue Dolphins, by Scott O’Dell
- Pippi Longstocking, in Pippi Longstocking, by Astrid Lundgren
- Laura Marlin, in the Laura Marlin series, by Lauren St John
- Anne, in the Anne of Green Gables series, by L.M. Montgomery
Matilda, as drawn by Quentin Blake. Image courtesy of stellabooks.com
Who are your favourite female characters? Please let us know who they are, and why you’ve chosen them!